unbound and systemd

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Sat Oct 17 00:55:41 UTC 2015

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015, W.C.A. Wijngaards via Unbound-users wrote:

> Your patch seems to want to customize the compile itself, and
> always-active, install for systemd.  This is because the Makefile is
> also trying to do the package install.  Most package systems can pick
> up files and install them, especially system files like init.d/rc.d.
> It would be inappropriate (I think) for Unbound's Makefile to install
> these files, and even more so, install them when systemd is not
> present.  So, I would leave those files in contrib, the Makefile then
> does not need any changes (I think).  A packager or package-script can
> then pick then up and install them.  Wouldn't that be cleaner and more
> portable?

But that would cause a "make install" to leave something on the
filesystem that is not ready to be enabled as a service or started on
boot. So make install does need to make some decision on what init
system support files to install.

For libreswan, we detect the init system, and we provide an override.
Our detection script supports systemd, sysvinit, upstart and openrc. See:

https://github.com/libreswan/libreswan/blob/master/packaging/utils/lswan_detect.sh

But we might be a little more linux-centric then you are.

We allow an override running make with INITSYSTEM=sysvinit which is used
to install sysvinit support on RHEL6 (which technically has upstart but
no one uses it).

Paul