EDNS RRs

Ian Cohee ian.cohee at secure64.com
Thu Nov 19 20:47:39 UTC 2015

Hello all,

One of our engineers discovered some interesting behavior while testing
bad EDNS RRs in Unbound. He discovered that Unbound properly checks and
identifies a truncated OPT RR as a FORMERR, but then returns the
truncated OPT RR, resulting in a malformed response to a malformed
request. I have attached a PCAP file that should contain the malformed
requests/responses.

Has anyone observed this behavior, and if so, had issues from it?

I'd also like to hear some opinions about this behavior.

Thanks,

--
Ian Cohee | Software Engineer
Secure64 Software Corporation