[Unbound-users] How to config whitelist for EDNS client subnetin unbound

余坤 yukun2005 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 02:52:35 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Andrew Strohman <astrohman at edgecast.com>
wrote:

> In this case, it looks like the authority of www.qq.com does respond with
> ECS when it replies with the CNAME(US case).  It's only Akamai's authority
> which does not.

 I agree.

> So why is www.qq.com. in the primary cache?  It seems like it should not
> be.  It does make sense that  qq.com.edgesuite.net. and a1574.b.akamai.net.
> are in primary cache, but why would this effect the response for
> www.qq.com.?
>
> I assume that when unbound gets the final answer from Akamai without ECS
extension it decides to store all the records, including www. qq.com CNAME
qq.com.edgesuite.net, in the primary cache.
Thus I suggest to provide an option in unbound.conf to store all the
records of a domain in ECS cache. Records without an ECS extension can be
assigned a subnet of 0.0.0.0/0

Thanks,

> Andy
>
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 4:32 PM, 余坤 <yukun2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just like send-client-subnet command in unbound.conf, I prefer to provide
>> another option in the config file that compiles a white list for domains
>> which enables ECS. All the records from the domains in the white list
>> should be cached in ECS cache instead of the primary cache.
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 2:16 AM, Larry Havemann <larry at edgecast.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think the best way to avoid getting non ecs answers when ecs is
>>> present would be to always pass the query to the ecs module.  Yes this
>>> would slow down non ecs queries, but would avoid the issue of returning a
>>> non ecs answer to an ecs query.  I think this should be acceptable to
>>> anyone who chooses to enable ECS.
>>>
>>> -Larry

Kun YU
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Electronic Engineering, Tsinghua University,
Beijing, 100084, China.
Mobile Phone:+86 13466535220