[Unbound-users] disable caching for stub zones

Johan Ihrén johani at johani.org
Sat Oct 11 09:33:15 UTC 2014

On 11 Oct 2014, at 06:18 , Dave Warren <davew at hireahit.com> wrote:

> On 2014-10-10 13:01, Alexander Dreweke wrote:
>> I had/have the problem that DNS entries and reverse entries do change
>> often and unbound serves the outdated records.
>
> Wouldn't the solution be to set an appropriate TTL on those records? Unbound likely isn't the only place those records will be cached, they'll be cached client-side as well by most modern clients.

This is my view also.

The TTL is a promise of sorts: when the zone owner publishes a piece of information with an associated TTL he is promising not to change the data within that period so that caching will work.

If the zone owner changes data more frequently than the TTL he has selected himself then the problem is clearly in the publishing end and not in the recursive server end.

Regards,

Johan