[Unbound-users] Stub with NS to stub doesn't work?

J L lists at rrod.net
Thu Feb 20 16:00:13 UTC 2014

I spoke too early! The problem still does exist.

It is when unbound:
  * is asked for something in a domain it has a stub-zone for, and
  * the response it gets back is a set of NS's, and
  * the NS hostnames are in a stub-zone, and
  * the resolution of all the NS hostnames via the stub-addr's returns NX

Then unbound will ask the root, and follow that chain. As the sub-domain I
using is private, when it gets to the "true" authoratative nameserver on
the Internet, it returns NX.

This is a problem for me, because the "inside" NX has a nice low TTL; but
the "outside" NX has a very high TTL. This means that if all the NS
hostnames don't exist at that point in time (pretty common in my case; it
is banks of test systems) then it takes a long time to recover once the NS
hostnames appear.

If you ask unbound directly for an NS hostname (while it does not have a
cached NX) then it behaves correctly (it believes the stub-addrs).

I'm not sure where to go from here. Does anyone have any idea what is going
wrong, or any suggestions of a workaround?

Unbound 1.4.21 on CentOS 6.4

Thanks,
--
Jarrod