[Unbound-users] named.cache & .conf setup best practices

Ondřej Surý ondrej at sury.org
Tue May 28 10:30:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM, shmick at riseup.net <shmick at riseup.net>wrote:

> hello list,
>
> concerning the following entities and the many other entites that
> provide dns services:
>
> cesidian;
> unifiedroot;
> public-root;
> opennic;
>
> 1.
> what is considered better practice for use with unbound:

Best practise is _not_ to use alternative roots.

> 1.1
> merging the above individually provided named.cache entries into one
> file with the existing iana root-servers.net named.cache; or
>
> 1.2
> manually adding forward/stub zone entries into the .conf file instead to
> resolve other domains that would normally be un-resolvable?

This.

> 2.
> why ?

Because they provide conflicting namespaces (root vs. alt_root, but also
alt_root vs. alt_root), so you need to pick which one you will be using
anyway.

But I would like to repeat again. Don't use alt_roots, they don't play well
(and never will) with unified DNS tree, and there's really no strong reason
(no reason at all from my POV) for using them.

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>