[Unbound-users] Modifying query in C module

Seetharaman Ramasubramani mani at powercloudsystems.com
Fri Jun 28 19:23:00 UTC 2013

Hi,
    We have a proprietary dns client that communicates with DNS resolver
which is using unbound proxy. We have the need to encode some metadata and
place it as part of query itself.

For e.g. request for www.microsoft.com will be changed in client to
www.microsoft.com.mymeta. Then in mymodule_operate we would do some custom
filtering based on mymeta and then strip out ".mymeta" to the next module,
iterator.

1. Could you point me to some sample code that does this kind of processing?

2. Also, how would caching behave in the above model?

3. On a related note, I assume we can use EDNS for passing such metadata.
When is unbound support for EDNS with apis for extracting such data from
OPT records planned?

I am currently using version 1.4.19 of unbound

Thanks much
Mani