[Unbound-users] Unbound rejects queries with unknown data in additional section

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Jan 11 10:57:55 UTC 2013

Hi Alexander,

On 01/11/2013 11:29 AM, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 2013/1/11 W.C.A. Wijngaards <wouter at nlnetlabs.nl>:
>> Hi Alexander,
>
>> This is not going to work, even if I fix unbound to be more
>> lenient. It is not going to be compatible with other software, in
>> general.
>
> Well, just for avoiding misunderstandings - the queries with the
> user-tracking record are in fact not supposed to hit unbound. They
> are only supposed to hit our proprietary recursive DNS server. But
> in fact they do hit unbound if an ISP redirects all DNS traffic to
> his unbound servers.

Yes your own server can do what you want it to do.  I would like to
note that the redirect is also likely to be a problem, a lot of stuff
breaks in hotels (the likely redirect case; for an ISP that is
strange, perhaps run probes there, such as netalyzer).  Fix the ISP
could be a very desirable solution to your problems, but often not
possible.

>> Your reference to wikipedia does not say that DNS servers ignore
>> stuff in the additional section, and that is why EDNS must be
>> backwards compatible (does not reply with EDNS OPT unless used in
>> the query).
>
> Quote from the Mechanism section: "The mechanism is backward
> compatible, because older DNS responders ignore any RR of the
> unknown OPT type in a request".

Yes, I was reading that as you replied to me.  The wikipedia page is
wrong.  You have been misled; the additional is not ignored in queries.

In fact, the RFC (that is referenced) mandates that you must be able
to handle older boxes (and middleboxes) that send error replies, or
otherwise mistreat the query.