[Unbound-users] Strange validation errors for proofs of non-existence in .com, .net, .org TLD (is it due to NSEC3 opt-out or I am missing some trust anchor?)

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Wed Jan 2 13:22:21 UTC 2013

Hi Ondrej,

On 01/01/2013 11:19 PM, Ondrej Mikle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that since some time ago the queries for non-existent
> .com, .net and .org domains no longer validate (no AD flag,
> libunbound marks them as insecure).

It has always done that (to my knowledge): treat NSEC3 optout
appropriately.

> However the validation works fine for existing domains. I haven't
> seen something similar in other TLDs.

nsec3-optout makes stuff insecure (not secure and not bogus).  Thus,
NXDOMAINs, and unsigned delegations, in the optout space get no AD flag.

> I've tested it with latest unbound 1.4.19 and older 1.4.16, as well
> as RHEL's bind 32:9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6_3.6, always with identical
> result.

The machine at 193.29.206.206 that sets the AD flag for optout NSEC3
NXDOMAIN fails to implement RFC5155.