[Unbound-users] cache size

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Thu Sep 20 20:24:58 UTC 2012

Zitat von daniela daniela <daniela.daniela.daniela.daniela at gmail.com>:

> Hallo and thank you to developers,
>
> I would like to ask devs and fellow users for opinions, experiences,
> insight about optimal size of cache in a minimal / average / server
> specs machine. I would also like to ask about the maximally feasible
> size, in case one should want to use a significant part of it for
> weeding out garbage. Yes, I have a firewall (and a file HOSTS) on
> every machine and I have a router with filtering and firewall, but
> sometimes laptops move around and a pocket mobile hotspot can hardly
> do any filtering.

The optimal cache size is easy: As much as you can provide without
impacting other services on the machine. On the other hand even a too
small cache whith Unbound have to purge results not expired yet,
doesn't harm too much beside in corner cases.

> I would also like to ask where physically the cache is located. I
> know, RTFM, but I did not find it easily, and searching the
> mailinglist archive is not very easy - there should be a search box :)
> Thank you a lot everyone
> Daniela

Not sure what you mean with "physically located". The cache is
obviously in the machine RAM, but if you ask for the network location
of the machine you should always get a close to your border router as
possible.

Regards

Andreas