[Unbound-users] Unbound stops answering after ADSL-line bounce

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Jan 24 16:06:04 UTC 2012

Hi Paul,

Nice that the performance looks good :-)

If you are running unbound under windows, there are some things to be
aware of.  On windows, unbound has reduced capacity because it cannot
open a lot (thousands) of file descriptors.  Windows simply lacks an
API that makes this possible, unless you spawn thousands of threads or
something similar.  So, if the performance you see is based on
recursion, then using Linux (or FreeBSD) on a similar box should have
more capacity (you can configure unbound to have extra capacity).  If
the performance you see is based on cache-responses, then the move to
Linux makes less of a difference.  With capacity I mean recursing a
lot of user queries at the same time, with thousands of sockets open.

The capacity on windows today is more relevant to small workgroups or
desktop environments.  With some code changes it could be improved,
e.g. with polling behaviour the number of sockets can be increased to
very large numbers.  Today unbound sleeps the process nicely when not
busy in WSAWaitForMultipleEvents.

The easiest way today to get more capacity on windows, by the way, is
to increase the number of workers (num-thread) to 4 (or so).

You note unbound was down for a lengthy time, can you upgrade or if
this was a recent version get me more details?  It should really fully
recover after 15 minutes from anything, I believe.