On the original topic of this thread, I have another incident to report. After experiencing some strangeness with my NAS (where unbound was running previously), I moved Unbound to an installation of pfSense running on an old net4801. I believe pfSense is still on version 1.4.14 of Unbound. I configured it pretty much identically to my NAS installation of Unbound. By that, I mean that I have numerous forwarders added for various CDNs, with a "." forwarder pointing to OpenDNS. DNSSEC validation is disabled. About two weeks had passed with no further problems, until this morning. Just before I was about to leave home for work (just after 7 AM), my daughter told me that the internet was down. I checked my router and saw that the internet connection went down last night for a little over an hour.. It recovered about 3:15 AM. So, it had been up and operational for almost 4 hours by the time I started looking at the issue. A quick nslookup showed SERVFAIL replies. Since I had to leave for work, I didn't have time to do much in the way of troubleshooting. I recycled the service via pfSense's Services page (I think it just kills and restarts the service), and DNS was resolving properly again. Unfortunately, since it's on an embedded box, I didn't have logging enabled, and I don't know what commands, if any, I could run that let you see the "state" Unbound is stuck in when this happens.