[Unbound-users] Question about qtype=any

Blacka, David davidb at verisign.com
Fri Jul 8 12:25:04 UTC 2011

On Jul 7, 2011, at 9:30 PM, Luo Ce wrote:

Hi all,

When I use unbound and send a query with qtype = any
dig @localhost www.google.com<http://www.google.com> any
unbound returns me the following results:
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 7, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.com.                        IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.com<http://www.google.com>.         604800  IN      CNAME   www.l.google.com<http://www.l.google.com>.
www.l.google.com<http://www.l.google.com>.       300     IN      A       74.125.71.147
www.l.google.com<http://www.l.google.com>.       300     IN      A       74.125.71.99
www.l.google.com<http://www.l.google.com>.       300     IN      A       74.125.71.106
www.l.google.com<http://www.l.google.com>.       300     IN      A       74.125.71.105
www.l.google.com<http://www.l.google.com>.       300     IN      A       74.125.71.103
www.l.google.com<http://www.l.google.com>.       300     IN      A       74.125.71.104

I just want to know whether the A records are needed for the qtype any, cos when I send the same query to bind, it only returns me the cname answer.

I believe what is happening here is that unbound is returning what the authoritative server returns for 'www.google.com/ANY', while BIND is reconstructing the answer (that is, looking at its cache and returning all RRsets that match the qname).

So, maybe a better question is: why does google's authoritative nameservers return the A records with qtype=ANY?

--
David Blacka                          <davidb at verisign.com<mailto:davidb at verisign.com>>
Principal Engineer      Verisign Infrastructure Engineering