[Unbound-users] RHEL 5 and Unbound

Hayward, Bruce Bruce.Hayward at mtsallstream.com
Mon Oct 25 17:25:59 UTC 2010

A little elaboration:

Outside of Unbound:

I had added the following lines to /etc/modprobe.conf:
alias net-pf-10 off
options ipv6 disable=1
I also changed /etc/sysconfig/network to read:
NETWORKING_IPV6=no

To disable ipv6 when installing RHEL 5.5 (on a Dell 2970)

In the unbound.conf file I left the 'do-ip6: yes' commented out <which yes is the default>

We also run an anycast model - which is running two virtual (static) IPs of off eth1. These IPs are the same IPs as are used in servers in several cities - so your lookups are geo based with the same IPs.

Hence I have 'interface-automatic: yes' set to yes.
And the interfaces are explicitely set (all of them - the loopback, the physical and the two virtuals) as opposed to using 0.0.0.0 - seems to be what works.

This configs ended up dropping QPS to 160 - 2000 at a high end.

Setting 'do-ip6: no' changed the QPS to between 45,000 and 60,000 pending the cache.

We will be going to IPV6 shortly, but not just now.

Bruce

Bruce Hayward, MTS Allstream Inc., (p) 204-958-1983 (e) bruce.hayward at mtsallstream.com