[Unbound-users] howto optimize cachesize ?

Thomas Guthmann tguthmann at iseek.com.au
Fri Dec 24 00:37:32 UTC 2010

Heya guys,

> I'm faced with the question if my unbound's cachesize is large enough.
> The ideal size is reached, if unbound discards entries from the cache
> *only if* their ttl was expired.

You won't be able to fit all DNS records in your cache except if you
have 2 or 3 users always hitting the same websites. Rule of thumb is if
you have free RAM use it! For your cache usage, use unbound-control with
extended-statistics: yes to see your usage.

To summarize, your cache won't be big enough to cache the whole Internet
:) So use the maximum available RAM you have and start from here (keep
some space for your OS:).

Thomas