[Unbound-users] Unbound on FreeBSD

Gareth Hopkins gabbawp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 07:59:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Artis Caune <artis.caune at gmail.com> wrote:

2009/11/25 Gareth Hopkins <gabbawp at gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am deploying a couple of unbound hosts on FreeBSD 7.2 Stable and was
> > wondering if there are any OS tweaks you would recommend to get the best
> > performance. Will be doing around 10000 qps at peak times.
>
> Hi,
>
> You should watch for full socket buffers:
>    # netstat -s -p udp
> and increase them if you see drops:
>    # sysctl kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=1048576
>    # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/unbound restart
>
> btw in unbound 1.4.0 (it's already in ports) you can specify:
>    so-rcvbuf: 4m
>

> Also if you are using firewall, watch for number of state table
> entries and lower udp.* timeouts for incoming queries and outgoing
> recursion rules

Hi Artis,

Thanks for the reply.

That's pretty much the setup I have. Have just upgraded to 1.4.0, have a
stateless firewall ruleset for all port 53 traffic, have set the maxsockbuf
to 4194304 and have so-rcvbuf set to 4m in unbound.conf

Will do some tests and see what the performance is like.

Cheers