[Unbound-users] forward servers: option to log failed requests

Felix Schueren felix.schueren at hosteurope.de
Mon Aug 31 08:22:08 UTC 2009

Hello,

we're still tracking a "some miniscule amount of queries fail every
couple of days" case with unbound, and we think it might be related to
unbounds backoff timer. Dumping unbound-control lookup (forwarded-zone)
every minute yielded this:

normally looks like
(forward server 1)          rtt 27 msec, 0 lost. EDNS 0 probed.
(forward server 2)          rtt 23 msec, 0 lost. EDNS 0 probed.

problem timeframe:

Mon Aug 31 00:47:09 CEST 2009
(forward server 1)          rtt 800 msec, 1 lost. EDNS 0 probed.
(forward server 2)          rtt 31 msec, 0 lost. EDNS 0 probed.
--
Mon Aug 31 00:48:09 CEST 2009
(forward server 1)          rtt 800 msec, 1 lost. EDNS 0 probed.
(forward server 1)          rtt 800 msec, 1 lost. EDNS 0 probed.
(forward server 2)          rtt 27 msec, 0 lost. EDNS 0 probed.
--
Mon Aug 31 00:50:09 CEST 2009
(forward server 1)          rtt 800 msec, 1 lost. EDNS 0 probed.
(forward server 2)          rtt 27 msec, 0 lost. EDNS 0 probed.
--
Mon Aug 31 00:51:09 CEST 2009
(forward server 1)          rtt 800 msec, 1 lost. EDNS 0 probed.
(forward server 2)          rtt 27 msec, 0 lost. EDNS 0 probed.

and we had a couple of dns-related error messages ("unable to resolve")
for queries that I know go to the forward servers at 00:50:03 +0200 that
day.

As the volume is too large to dump properly, I would like an option per
forward server or per forward zone to dump failed requests with the full
query. These forward servers should _always_ answer, each failed query
should be logged in a configurable verbosity level (so we could set it
to 1 - 2 is pretty much unusable due to the high volume). Even if you
would not want it in mainline, maybe a debug build would be possible?

Thoughts?

Kind regards,

Felix

--
Felix Schüren
Head of Network

Host Europe GmbH - http://www.hosteurope.de
Welserstraße 14 - 51149 Köln - Germany
Telefon: 0800 467 8387 - Fax: +49 180 5 66 3233 (*)
HRB 28495 Amtsgericht Köln - USt-IdNr.: DE187370678
Geschäftsführer:
Uwe Braun - Alex Collins - Mark Joseph - Patrick Pulvermüller

(*) 0,14 EUR/Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, Mobilfunkpreise ggf. abweichend