[Unbound-users] FreeBSD + Unbound 1.0.2 error: too many file descriptors requested

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Aug 11 07:32:09 UTC 2008

Hi Dmitriy,

Unbound 1.0.2 calculates the maximum number of open files.  And checks
if that is going to work. So that it does not start OK, but later on,
when it is busy, fails.  This error is because the select system call
has a hardcoded limit of 1024 (limited by the system).

Libevent does not work for you?

OK an alternative.
Compile unbound with ./configure --without-pthreads

Then, you can even set the outgoing-range to 256, or 512 or 768
File descriptors are less of a problem.

The downside is unbound will fork processes, and every process has it's
own cache memory.  So it uses more memory, 8x more memory with 8
'num-threads:' setting.

On the plus side, its 10-20% faster :-)

Best regards,
~   Wouter

Dmitriy Demidov wrote:
> [...]
| [1218219064] unbound[3358:0] fatal error: configuration needs too many
file
| descriptors
|
| ---
|
| My system is configured this way:
|
| ulimit -a
| core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
| data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 524288
| file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
| max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
| max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
| open files                      (-n) 20095
| pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 1
| stack size              (kbytes, -s) 65536
| cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
| max user processes              (-u) 5547
| virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited
|
| ---
|
| My unbound.conf:
|
| server:
|         verbosity: 0
|         #statistics-interval: 3600
|         #num-threads: 8
|         num-threads: 3
|         interface: 0.0.0.0
|         port: 53
|         outgoing-range: 256
|         msg-cache-size: 16m
|         msg-cache-slabs: 4
|         num-queries-per-thread: 1024
|         rrset-cache-size: 32m
|         rrset-cache-slabs: 4
|         cache-max-ttl: 86400
|         infra-host-ttl: 900
|         infra-lame-ttl: 900
|         infra-cache-slabs: 4
|         infra-cache-numhosts: 10000
|         infra-cache-lame-size: 10k
|         do-ip4: yes
|         do-ip6: no
|         do-udp: yes
|         do-tcp: yes
|         do-daemonize: yes
|
|         access-control: 0.0.0.0/0 refuse
|         access-control: 127.0.0.0/8 allow
|         access-control: ::0/0 refuse
|         access-control: ::1 allow
|         access-control: ::ffff:127.0.0.1 allow
|
|         chroot: "/usr/local/etc/unbound"
|         username: "unbound"
|         directory: "/usr/local/etc/unbound"
|         #logfile: "/usr/local/etc/unbound/unbound.log"
|         logfile: ""
|         use-syslog: no
|         pidfile: "/usr/local/etc/unbound/unbound.pid"
|         root-hints: "/usr/local/etc/unbound/named.cache"
|
|         identity: "DNS"
|         version: "1.0"
|         hide-identity: yes
|         hide-version: yes
|         harden-glue: yes
|         do-not-query-address: 127.0.0.1/8
|         do-not-query-address: ::1
|         do-not-query-localhost: yes
|         module-config: "iterator"
|
| ---
|
| AFAIK my unbound configuration with num-threads: 4 will requests only
256x4 =
| 1024 file descriptors + 20 for TCP. In the same time there is system wide
| ilimit for 20095 file descriptors...
|
| Do this behaviour is because of hard coded threshold in Unbound?
| If file descriptors count is >= 1024 and no libevent is used, then
Unbound