High latency setting optimization

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sat May 26 21:52:49 UTC 2018

FL> We are running multiple unbound caches behind very long latency
FL> sat links. We are seeing RTT of at least 1000ms.
FL> I have already seen jostle-timeout. I am pretty shure prefetching
FL> has a huge impact.

Back when I only had a dialup modem connection to the net I set those
jostle, prefetching, my own copy of the root and arpa zones, plus:

 cache-min-ttl: 7200.

Some may argue against that last one.

Early versions of unbound didn't work too well on such a link, but it
didn't take too long before it felt at least as fast as using a remote
resolver.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6