Unbound 1.7.3 eats too much memory comparing previous version

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Jul 10 08:22:15 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 07/08/2018 11:30 PM, ѽ҉ᶬḳ℠ via Unbound-users wrote:
>> Not sure this is OS issue. This time can't do comparison with other
>> servers with different platform.
>>
>> Just guessing leakage.
>>
> From what I am observing I would concur. The difference though seems
> that this end the amount of cached (~ 110 MB) / rss (~ 2MB) memory
> remains stable/stagnant but mem_usage keeps on increasing
> steadily/relentlessly to no end, well the end being out of memory and in
> order to prevent that had to restart unbound already.
The memory configuration is for the amount that Unbound allocates.  The
total max amount of memory that Unbound ends up using because of that is
about double the specified amount (this may differ for different
implementations of malloc on different systems).  So if you specified
100 Mb cache, it'll end up using 200Mb of memory for that.  I have
reports that it then stabilizes and stops growing, for others.  Add up
the memory amounts for the caches and x2 is the guess I would make.  In
reality unbound also needs some memory for system buffers and so on, for
large TCP (or TLS) deployments that is a considerable amount. So perhaps
it is that you configured a lot of memory to be used and it is simply
growing to fill the config amount?

Best regards, Wouter