unbound and meson build

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Jan 8 11:07:18 UTC 2018

Hi Sami,

On 07/01/18 21:08, Sami Kerola via Unbound-users wrote:
> Hello Wouter, and others,
>
> Would Unbound project be interested moving away from hand-written
> Makefile.am and other autotool stuff to meson? Here is a preview
> (hopefully to future) how things could look with meson:

Thanks for the offer and sample code.  However, no, we are not looking
for a new build system.

Meson has heavy build requirements (python3 and ninja are listed), and
this may not work for FreeBSD base system.  We already avoid build
dependencies on gmake, and gcc.

Otherwise, the autoconf system neatly fits onto package managers'
systems and expectations.  We also worry about all built details for
compromises and portability fixes that we had accrued so far that would
be lost.  We appreciate a build system that may be better, but are
invested in the legacy system for now...

Best regards, Wouter