minimal-responses ?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Apr 2 20:36:54 UTC 2018

I needed a new resolver for some research I'm doing, and I had just
read recently about the various advantages of unbound, so I just
did my first ever install of the pre-built Unbound 1.6.8 package
on my FreeBSD system.

For my purposes, it is necessary to be able to get the authority
and additional sections in query responses.

Unfortunately, out of the box, this pre-built Unbound 1.6.8 that is
in the FreeBSD repository doesn't appear to provide those sections in
simple tests:

% dig www.google.com @127.0.0.1
% dig mx1.tristatelogic.com @127.0.0.1

I am getting neither authority nor additional sections in the responses
to the above queries.

Why not?

On the off chance that perhaps the unbound.conf(5) was simply wrong, and
that the actual default value for the minimal-responses configuration
parameter was actually "yes" rather than the purported value of "no"
I added the following explicitly to my /etc/unbound/unbound.conf file,
indented underneath the server: heading, and then restarted unbound:

	minimal-responses: no

Unfortunately, this sappears to have changed nothing, and I am still
failing to get the authority and additional sections back from my
queries.

What am I doing wrong?

What is the proper incantation needed in order to get unbound to actually
provide authority and additional sections in responses, e.g. to authorized
local clients?