query ip address

Tom Samplonius tom at samplonius.org
Wed Sep 13 21:27:52 UTC 2017

  I haven’t seen a IP address in a MX record in the last 5 years.  In the 16 years since that was written, the email world has changed a lot.  Email systems are larger, and tend to run by email professionals who know the standards.  This did not happen:

It's reasonably clear what will happen to this protocol in the future.
System administrators will continue to use dotted-decimal domain names.
There will be occasional failures from other MTAs running under other
DNS caches; the MTA implementors and the DNS implementors will react by
adding support. Eventually, no matter what DNSEXT does, dotted-decimal
domain names will be a de facto standard.

And the DNSEXT working group never changed the MX standard.

  Sometimes it might better to go with the Standard way of doing things.  You can’t keep adding non-standard cruft to your services, and expect a smooth lifecycle.

Tom