query ip address

Joe Williams williams.joe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 20:02:58 UTC 2017

List,

I am transitioning from dnscache to unbound and have noticed a difference
in behavior that I need to address since I have a few systems using it.
Querying dnscache using an IP as the question I get an answer back using
unbound I do not. For instance:

$ dig @localhost 10.36.129.10

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @localhost 10.36.129.10
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;10.36.129.10. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
10.36.129.10. 655360 IN A 10.36.129.10

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Sep 13 12:42:03 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 46

Unbound responds with what I would have expected dnscache to respond with
NXDOMAIN. I haven't been able to track down where exactly this sort of
behavior is defined in an RFC or etc. So far digging through the dnscache
source hasn't been fruitful either.

Anyone know if unbound can be configured to behave this way or know what
dnscache might be doing here?

Thanks!
-Joe