Negative cache being ignored.

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Oct 17 12:17:45 UTC 2017

Hi Dylan,

Negative ttls are for negative answers, like NXDOMAIN and NOERROR/NODATA
answers.  This is where that configuration option applies.  The max neg
ttl setting reduces TTL values from the authority.  It does not increase
them.

But this response is not an NXDOMAIN or NOERROR/NODATA, so these
configuration options actually do not apply to it.  It is a failure to
get data, and Unbound has a fixed TTL of a couple seconds for that.  I
think it is called NORR_TTL in util/data/msgparse.h.

Best regards, Wouter