unicode request blocking

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Fri Apr 21 16:57:17 UTC 2017

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Joris L. via Unbound-users wrote:

> Is there a documented way to block unicode domain names ( all of them, not some ) ?
>
> Why ? Because http://xn--80ak6aa92e.com/ reads like apple.com in anything outside of Internet Explore. Firefox
> has a puny flag which can be set so the domain does no longer get displayed as apple.com but Chrome is pending
> an update to fix this issue.

As maintainer in Fedora and one of th DNS team members for RHEL, I would
compile-time disable any such option as it would break all non-english
or latin domains. It is not an acceptable workaround ever.

The real fix here is that .com needs to come up with proper policies
regarding mixing scripts and domain bundling, something that the
newGLTDs did properly.

Paul