Cannot resolve .co.uk domains with VPN, local DNS using Unbound

r.adey-johnson at surrey.ac.uk r.adey-johnson at surrey.ac.uk
Thu May 26 10:38:44 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm using unbound as a local DNS server on my laptop (Arch Linux). Occasionally the laptop is unable to resolve .co.uk TLDs while connected to a VPN (AirVPN using OpenVPN). When this happens the AirVPN website says their servers can still connect to .co.uk addresses, so I wonder if unbound could be causing the problem. I can't reproducibly cause the issue, which seems to happen randomly and doesn't affect any other TLDs. If I disconnect from the VPN, .co.uk addresses are resolved again.

Any help would be much appreciated, even if just to confirm that unbound isn't the problem.

Unbound listens on 127.0.0.1 and points all DNS queries to the AirVPN nameserver at 10.4.0.1. Queries for servers at my university get sent to the DNS at 131.227.13{0,1}.5.

unbound.conf is:

-------

    include: "/etc/unbound/resolvunbound"

    server:
         verbosity: 1
         use-syslog: yes
         username: "unbound"
         directory: "/etc/unbound"

         interface: 127.0.0.1
         trust-anchor-file: trusted-key.key
         root-hints: "/etc/unbound/root.hints"

         local-zone: "10.in-addr.arpa." nodefault
         local-zone: "168.192.in-addr.arpa." nodefault

    forward-zone:
         name: "surrey.ac.uk."
         forward-addr: 131.227.131.5     #internal dns
         forward-addr: 131.227.130.5
         forward-addr: 10.4.0.1                #airvpn dns

    forward-zone:
         name: "lib.surrey.ac.uk."
         forward-addr: 131.227.131.5
         forward-addr: 131.227.130.5

    forward-zone:
         name: "227.131.in-addr.arpa."
         forward-addr: 131.227.131.5
         forward-addr: 131.227.130.5
-------

and openresolv is configured with resolvconf.conf:
-------
    name_servers=127.0.0.1
    resolv_conf=/etc/resolv.conf
    unbound_conf="/etc/unbound/resolvunbound"
    private_interfaces="svpn"
-------

Thanks in advance,
Rob