L-Root IPv6 address renumbering

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed Mar 16 20:45:42 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-16 10:46, Robert Edmonds via Unbound-users wrote:
> Not quite, I want to avoid two things:
>
> 1) The sysadmin should never have to update the root hints by hand.
> "apt update && apt upgrade" should upgrade any packages needed to bring
> the root hints up to date.
>
> 2) The package maintainers shouldn't have to patch and rebuild each
> package with compiled in root hints when a root server is renumbered.

At what point would a binary have a newer internal roots hints than the
filesystem root.hints file when a user is using #1 to keep updated? Is
there a subset of users who would update the binary but not apt
update/upgrade?

I guess to me, it seems better to directly address whatever failed to
update the external root.hints than to add complexity of a "will-she
won't-she" of using defined data files.

Also, does any of this matter? The root hints just used to find the root
servers on initialization, and then the resolver retrieves and uses the
current roots anyway. Resolvers need to update eventually, but it's not
a networking-breaking level of urgency either, is it?

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/