Maintained by: NLnet Labs

Concerns about DNS & DHCP integration

Sven Ulland
Fri Jan 29 13:46:07 CET 2016

On 01/29/2016 01:23 PM, Hernan Saltiel via Unbound-users wrote:
> I was thinking about something that would be internally available. Don't
> know if unbound could provide such a service based on some config.

Unbound is a resolver, and while it has facilities for serving
authoritative data, your scenario seems to rather call for a proper
authoritative DNS server with support for dynamic DNS updates. The
"dyndns" term is somewhat ambiguous, as it can refer both to these
online DNS redirection services; but it also refers to standards-based
dynamic DNS updates, defined in RFC 2136.

You might want to take a look at RFC 2136 and the implementations
offered by some authoritative implementations, accepting updates from
your ISC DHCP server.

sven