Maintained by: NLnet Labs

[Unbound-users] Maximum TTL for negative cache

Paul Wouters
Tue Jun 9 18:22:21 CEST 2015

On Tue, 9 Jun 2015, Yuri Schaeffer wrote:

>> Is it really not possible to set negative cache maximum TTL?
>
> I've done some digging in the code and believe cache-max-ttl is
> applicable to negative answers as well.

But that's not very useful.

The use case here is for instance when you're hotspotted and you will
get a bunch of false answers or DNS queries fail. You really want to
forget these practically instantly. But we don't want the real cache's
TTLs reduced to instantly, as that would uhm, remove the entire cache.

We can call it a bug instead of a feature if that makes Wouter happier :)

Paul