[Unbound-users] Modifying answer with the Python API

Christophe Labonne galaf77 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 01:00:22 UTC 2014

Bill Manning << You don't understand. It's not a problem for me as a
client, it's a problem for me as a worker at an internet provider. I have
to implement something totally broken because of what NTT did.

Daisuke Higashi << There is one little problem though: We would have to
write all IPv6 domains by hand in the configuration file.

In the end, I found that the only way to do this is to use the Python API.
But because Unbound doesn't offer any method to actually get the result of
the original query, I have to wait for the MODULE_EVENT_MODDONE to get the
result of the query and to be able to modify it. But then, because RRData
is all in wireformat, I have to convert all of them by hand which will take
a lot of effort to implement...

> Hi, Christophe -
>
> In unbound.conf:
>
>   private-address: ::/0
>   private-domain:  iptvf.jp
>   private-domain:  flets-east.jp
>
> returns no AAAA unless query name is iptvf.jp or flets-east.jp.
>
> Note that it also removes AAAA from IPv6(AAAA)-only domain name.
> This is slighly differs from BIND9's AAAA-ftiler's behavior.
>
> Regards,
> --
>  Daisuke HIGASHI

> > Hello,
> >
> > I work for a japanese internet provider and I would like to get some help
> > with the Python module I am currently working on.
> >
> > Because of the way internet works in Japan, I need to filter the DNS
> > requests so that it doesn't show AAAA except for a few websites (as
> such, I
> > can't just use the parameter in the config file).
> >
> > So I decided to build a Python module that would make it possible.
> Problem
> > is, it seems like I can modify the return_msg only when in event ==
> > MODULE_EVENT_NEW.
> >
> > I do not wish to create data from the ground up, I would just like to
> modify
> > the existing answer.
> > The only way to do that would be to create a DNSMessage during event ==
> > MODULE_EVENT_MODDONE.
> >
> > But if I do that, set_return_msg fails and returns 0.
> >
> > Is there a way to create a DNSMessage during MODULE_EVENT_MODDONE?
> > Or is there a way to get original data during MODULE_EVENT_NEW so that I
> can
> > parse it?
> >
> > I've been working on it for a day now and I just don't seem to find a
> good
> > way to do this.
> > (And yes, I know it's a weird thing to do but can't argue with the
> national
> > way of doing things)
> >
> > I hope you guys can give me an answer and I wish you a good day.
> >
> > Christophe

LABONNE Christophe