Maintained by: NLnet Labs

[Unbound-users] sendto failed: Operation not permitted at 3am?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Fri Jul 18 15:08:19 CEST 2014

donotreply at projectumbra.com writes:
> Recently upgraded to freebsd 10.0 and switched to unbound.  Everything
> seemed ok.  That was about a week ago.   However, I've just noticed in
> my log files a significant # of sendto failed: Operation not permitted

There seems to be a bug somewhere in the FreeBSD network stack that
causes sendmsg() and sendto() to return an incorrect error code when the
destination address is unroutable.  This is not specific to 10.0 - I get
it intermittently on my home router (soekris net5501 with 9.2).  I
haven't yet had time to track it down.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no