[Unbound-users] Can't Enable Link-Local IPv6

Arni Birgisson arnib at menandmice.com
Mon Mar 19 12:02:06 UTC 2012

On Mar 19, 2012, at 11:15 AM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:

> I didn't know that about the zone ID, in fact (save one or two experiences with it), so thanks for increasing my knowledge. :-)  It does seem a bit silly though, given that the host can disambiguate this itself.

In fact, the host cannot.
There are a number of situations where a host could have the same Link-Local IP address on two or more interfaces.
For example,
i) If it is using a trunk protocol to connect to multiple vlans on a single NIC
ii) If the Mac Address is not based on the NIC but on the CPU

In this situation, the host would not be able to know which interface to listen on, without the zone id.

Best regards
Arni

Arni Birgisson
Professional Services
Men & Mice
Address: Noatun 17, IS-105, Reykjavik, Iceland
Phone: +354 412 1500
Email:  arnib at menandmice.com
www.menandmice.com

First Choice in IP Address Management

Men & Mice Blog  | Follow us on Twitter  | Men & Mice on Facebook

Disclaimer : www.menandmice.com/disclaimer