[Unbound-users] Unbound stops answering after ADSL-line bounce

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Jan 23 08:21:08 UTC 2012

Hi Jan-Piet,

Yes it marks servers as down and stops sending queries.  There was a
rewrite for better handling of this case, if you run an older version
an update may be useful.  However, all versions step down packets to
hosts that are down.

This has a timeout of x minutes (1-15).  After that your service
should re-enable again.  If the downtime was under two minutes, you
have to wait that amount of time for service to resume (exponential
backoff used here).  If the downtime was longer, you may have to wait
15 minutes (infra-ttl config option) before service resumes to hosts
that were probed to be 'down'.

If you want service to instantly go down and up with the line
downtime, and you can notice the line-bounce via some other method,
then you could use e.g. unbound-control flush_infra to resume traffic.