[Unbound-users] dig fails intermittently, but unbound-host does not

Andrew Hearn andrew.hearn at aaisp.net.uk
Tue Mar 29 09:30:23 UTC 2011

Hello,

We have version 1.3.4 on a server and have an odd, intermittent, problem
with looking up a particular record.

We have other unbound and bind servers that don't have this problem.

eg:

[root at a log]# unbound-control flush farnell.com
ok
[root at a log]# dig uk.farnell.com @localhost

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5 <<>> uk.farnell.com @localhost
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 60335
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;uk.farnell.com.			IN	A

;; Query time: 73 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Mar 29 10:20:56 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 32

[root at a log]# unbound-host uk.farnell.com -v
uk.farnell.com has address 83.100.177.198 (insecure)
uk.farnell.com has no IPv6 address (insecure)
uk.farnell.com mail is handled by 3 mailcore.theplanet.net. (insecure)
uk.farnell.com mail is handled by 2 mail.uk.farnell.com. (insecure)

Sometimes the dig uk.farnell.com @localhost works, others it does not.

It seems to only be this domain that we have problems with.

I suspect there are better ways to diagnose this, or to log more
verbose? Have you any suggestions as to what steps I should be taking
please?

The server, if it helps, is 90.155.53.31. I'd happily upgrade, but would
rather find out why this is happening first.

Thanks.

Andrew.