Maintained by: NLnet Labs

[Unbound-users] Problem resolving www.thebalconyondock.com

Paul Wouters
Mon Feb 22 23:00:39 CET 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, Warren Lilly wrote:

> I run two unbound resolvers at a university and using both 1.4.1 and revision 1989 of svn I cannot get www.thebalconyondock.com to resolve.  It
> resolves fine in BIND.  Doing an unbound-host -v www.thebalconyondock.com returns:
>
> Host www.thebalconyondock.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL). (insecure)
> Host www.thebalconyondock.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL). (insecure)
> Host www.thebalconyondock.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL). (insecure)

It's pretty broken:

[paul at bofh ~]$ dnscheck thebalconyondock.com
   0.000: thebalconyondock.com INFO Begin testing zone thebalconyondock.com with version 0.93_01.
   0.000: thebalconyondock.com INFO Begin testing delegation for thebalconyondock.com.
   1.405: thebalconyondock.com INFO Name servers listed at parent: ns1.ultrawhb.com,ns2.ultrawhb.com
   7.799: thebalconyondock.com ERROR No name servers found at child.
   7.799: thebalconyondock.com ERROR Superfluous name server listed at parent: ns1.ultrawhb.com
   7.799: thebalconyondock.com ERROR Superfluous name server listed at parent: ns2.ultrawhb.com
   7.799: thebalconyondock.com ERROR Too few name servers (0).
   7.799: thebalconyondock.com INFO Done testing delegation for thebalconyondock.com.
   7.799: thebalconyondock.com CRITICAL Fatal error in delegation for zone thebalconyondock.com.
   7.799: thebalconyondock.com INFO Test completed for zone thebalconyondock.com.

I am also getting a servfail on bind, so my guess is that you just happened to have it
cached there and if you restart that bind server, it will also fail.

Paul