[Unbound-users] Troubles with using Round-Robin balancing.

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Mon Apr 19 11:06:38 UTC 2010

* Pavel:

> But unfortunately I've found that round-robin balancing don't really
> works via unbound. It receives first reply from primary server, puts
> it in the cache and then returns it always until the TTL is expired.

Reordering the records is supposed to be pointless these days because
clients are expected to sort them, basically according to the length
of the shared prefix.  RFC 3484 has the details.  Don't be fooled by
the title, the RFC is not (only) about default address selection, and
not about IPv6 either, it also deals with how DNS (stub) resolvers
report addresses to applications.

I think the RFC is fundamentally wrong, but the IETF has not updated
it, and the GNU libc folks (among others) treat it as gospel.