[Unbound-users] Old or incorrect information returned?

Fri Nov 6 13:54:05 UTC 2009

On 11/06/2009 01:53 PM, Haw Loeung wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6th, 2009 at 6:30 PM, "W.C.A. Wijngaards"<wouter at NLnetLabs.nl>  wrote:
>> It could also be a bug where due to a miscalculation inside
>> the resolver the TTL becomes -1 (or infinite), but although
>> such a bug is fixed recently (in svn trunk) for DNSSEC bogus
>> messages, my guess is you are not DNSSEC validating.
>>

> Thinking about this further, if the TTL becomes -1, shouldn't it consider that cache entry stale and
> look it up again? I mean, is there any reason for entries to be in the cache forever?

This is a bug and should not happen, actually -1 is a misnomer, I mean a
miscalculation with a too large TTL as the result, fairly rare though it
hits DNS resolvers from time to time.  If this really happens, you can
spot it with the unbound-control dump_cache statement - with insanely
large values for the domain in question (either RR or msg).

Unbound does not lock-on to old NS servers even if they keep serving the
old zone.  After the NS record times out it should get the delegation
again and use that until it expires.  This can mean that if it fetches
an NS record that holds for 24h, and at the end of that fetches the A
record that holds for 24h, that 48h after the redelegation the A record
is still the old one.  This is a worst case scenario with the refetch of
NS happening at the last time the old NS is available and the A getting
refetched just before the bad NS record expires.  After that the TTLs
expire and the new data is used.

The phrase 'all the others do not have the problem please reload your
cache' might have been used with all the other isps too :-)  No, with
unbound newer it is probably more likely to be different in any case.

 From your data they waited for one day.  Could it be this that
triggered the complaint?  Different way of keeping the cache and the old
servers still serving the old zone, turns the TTL until the new data is
displayed larger than the one day they expected?  (or did they expect
even faster convergence, even though they used a 24h TTL?)